Glencoe and Ben Nevis Scrambling
The areas of Ben Nevis (UK’s highest mountain) and Glencoe are considered by many to be the spiritual home of Scottish mountaineering
Their climbing history spans three centuries and has witnessed many bold ascents made by Scotland’s finest climbers. The pioneering years at the turn of the twentieth century established them as formidable testing ground, and many of the earlier routes were completed amazingly with the most basic of equipment.
2 Day Introduction to Scrambling
This course is ideal for those who wish to learn more about the skills of scrambling under the expert supervision of a qualified instructor. Scrambling is the grey area between walking and climbing!
During the 2 day and 3 night course (which can be extended if you wish), you will enjoy two classic scrambles and learn some basic rope work skills to allow you to move safely over steep rocky ground. Below are some of the available options:
- Aonach Eagach Ridge People say this is the finest ridge on the mainland of Scotland. It is a sensational exposed scramble but generally the sections are not too difficult. There is really no escape from the ridge when committed but it as an amazing experience. The ridge is long and in summer will take approx 6-8 hrs to traverse.
- Buachaille Etive Mor is one of the best known and loved of all the Munro peaks. The epic view of the mountain from the main A82 road makes it appear quite unassailable and is one of the most photographed sights in Scotland. The scramble planned would be up the famous Curved Ridge which leads to the summit, affording excellent views from the top.
- Carn Mor Dearg Arete (Ben Nevis) is for experienced, fit walkers who do not mind easy scrambling but are not climbers, this is the finest way to climb Ben Nevis. This is a truly spectacular route incorporating two Munros. It will live long in the memory and does true justice to the mountain. There are good mountain paths for the approach and descent. The traverse of the arete is an easy but long, airy and dramatic scramble.
- Tower Ridge (Ben Nevis) This is the ultimate British scramble! Tower Ridge is to scrambling what The Isle of Man TT is to motorcycling; it just doesn’t get any better. Tower Ridge takes the best combination of all that makes scrambling fun and puts it all together in a single ridge to the summit of Britain’s highest mountain. Once you have Tower Ridge safely ticked off in your log book you will know that you can cope with pretty much anything that scrambling routes can throw at you. Note: Tower Ridge is at the very edge of what is considered to be a scramble. Some guidebooks grade it as a Diff rock climb and in winter it merits a grade III rating for its length and exposure.
- You will require previous summer hillwalking experience.
- A good head for heights.
- A good level of fitness is also required.
- Equipment can be hired
- Ben Nevis ridges would incorporate an overnight camp
- Accommodation can be arranged
- Meeting point tbc at time of booking
- For further information/enquiries please use our enquiry form
If there are any ridges/scrambles not mentioned above which are located in another region of Scotland, please do contact us for prices and availability.